Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Roasted Red Peppers and The Italian Rose(Garlic)


Well, today I went to the supermarket, and low and behold, steering me in the face from the mark down corner, were these beautiful large red peppers. I immediately took the 8 red peppers and placed them in my carriage along with some other good bargains like fresh green beans.

I could not wait to get these red peppers home to roast them and prepare them with the Italian Rose, garlic. This is an Italian dish that make your mouth water and will keep you coming back for more.

They also make a delicious Italian Sandwich with any other Italian accompaniment such as Italian Sausage, Eggplant parmigian, Italian Cold Cuts, and Chicken Parmigian, as well.

The next thing I did, when I returned home, was to take the 8 large red peppers, rinse them, and slice them in fours, pulling off the quarters and throwing away the seeds and stems.

As I cut them, I placed them skin side up, side by side, on two cookie sheets lined with aluminum foil for easy cleanup. I then placed them under the broiler in my oven, second rack down from the top. They broiled for about 30 minutes. Use your judgement, making sure they are truly blackened but not burned through.

Once the red peppers appear to be blackened and charred, remove them from the broiler and slide them into a doubled plastic grocery bag tying the bag and leaving them to steam for approximately 30 minutes. You then open the bag and the skin will peal off easily. If there are traces of black remaining, this will enhance the flavor. Never rinse them as you will take away the roasted flavor.  I then put them in a serving dish and slice them lengthwise in half, again.

I take a large saute pan, add enough oil to barely cover the bottom of the pan, turn the heat up high, slice the garlic into the oil, add salt and pepper to taste, and a palmful of red pepper seeds. When the garlic starts to brown around the edges, I add the red peppers and turn the burner off, because the electric burner continues to cook for a while. I then toss the roasted red peppers into the olive oil and garlic and seasoning until totally coated and mouth watering.

Once you taste these Roasted Red Peppers with the Italian Rose, you will never stop making them. They are delicious as a side dish, to enhance a sandwich, or for many other delicious creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment