Thursday, November 12, 2009

Roasted Chicken and Sauted Red Peppers



On Sunday, I decided to go to the market and buy a roasted chicken, some sweet potatoes, and some organic spring mix salad.

It was a very healthy lunch, and my mom and I enjoyed it very much.

The next day, I wanted to do something to enhance the chicken.  I had two red peppers that needed to be cooked before they shriveled up completely, and the first thing that came to my mind was to saute them with a little olive oil. 

I cored the red peppers, removed the seeds and bottom, and sliced the peppers lengthwise into strips.  Then, I put them into the saute pan, turned the burner to high to heat up the pan and poured a few tablespoons over the red pepper strips.  I then sliced a medium onion thinly in the round and separated the rings over the peppers.  I also smashed and chopped a couple of garlic cloves adding them to the peppers.  By this time, the olive oil was heated and starting to brown the peppers.  I turned the heat down to medium and continued to saute the peppers and onions and garlic adding a little salt and pepper to taste.

When  felt the peppers were near the right texture, I added the breasts of the roasted chicken and the juice that accompanied them.  I shredded the chicken with my wooden spoon while it was warming in the pan. I then folded the peppers, onions, garlic, and chicken into each other in the saute pan.  It was not only looking good, but the scent of this combination was overwhelmingly delicious. 

So, for lunch, we enjoyed the Roasted Chicken and Sauted Red Peppers, another hot baked sweet potato from the oven, and another Spring Mix Salad.  It was a memorable lunch to say the least, and took very little time.  It was a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment